[Snort-users] snort-acid timestamp problem...anyone ever fix this?

Brian J. Smith-Sweeney bsweeney at ...7988...
Tue Jan 14 08:31:07 EST 2003

Wow, imagine that; the program's not broken, it's doing *EXACTLY* what I
told it to do.  I downloaded a startup script from somewhere, and didn't
realize it passed the -U switch to snort.  However, I'm now thinking I
may leave that in there, since there will most likely be situations
where I'm sending these logs overseas to other sys admins and it will
probably be easier to have us all translating from UTC than PST.

Thanks for the help.

-Brian
On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 00:06, Jens Krabbenhoeft wrote:
> Brian,
>
> > system clock is correct, but the timestamps are consistently off by 8
> > hours.  Even on the ACID main page, the "queried on" time shows up
>
> As your mailer gives -0800 in your Date-Header I guess the times you
> see are in UTC. There is a commandline option in snort "-U Use UTC for
> timestamps", which can cause this.
>
> Which command line options do you use? Do you use barnyard, as there is
> an option "config localtime", which may cause timezone-"problems" too.
>
> Generally it is not a bad idea to use UTC-times in timerelated
> applications because you don't have any timewarps (daylight-saving).
>
> Hope that helps,
> 	Jens

Brian Smith-Sweeey
Senior Systems Administrator