[Snort-users] snort installation

Brian J. Smith-Sweeney bsweeney at ...7988...
Tue Jan 14 08:29:06 EST 2003

Are you running the configure as root?  Some security scripts out there
(notably Bastille) will disable execute priveledges for anyone who's not
root.  Try re-running the configure as the root user.

If that fails, try writing and compiling a simple "Hello world"
c-program, to verify whether or not your compiler can do anything.  I
believe someone else mentioned the possiblity of your compiler being
broken  or installed without the necessary libraries.

-Brian
On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 02:30, Anthony Banez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been try to install snort 1.8 and redhat 7.3 and I get this error
> message during snort compilation,
>
> # ./configure --with-mysql
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for working aclocal... missing
> checking for working autoconf... missing
> checking for working automake... missing
> checking for working autoheader... missing
> checking for working makeinfo... missing
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.
>
> anybody knows how to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

Brian Smith-Sweeey
Senior Systems Administrator