[Snort-users] Portscan preprocessors dropping packets on a si mple nmap-scan

Tue Jan 14 04:11:06 EST 2003

Hi,

Gonzalez, Albert wrote:
> It all depends on *how* your logging. If your monitoring fast pipes (ie: t1
> and up)
> you should try tcpdump format (-b or output log_tcpdump[1]) or even better
> unified.

I'm doing that - no better results

> If you log to binary, then you can run it back through snort with an
> automated script
ACK, or Barnyard

> etc... but with a full logging, that isn't very bright with fast pipes.

There are no reliable statements on how fast the network is allowed to
be.

According to my information, libpcap is able to capture about
700Mbit/s, so that should not be a capturing problem. I already
suspected that, since it was no problem to capture 40000 packets
in 2 seconds with tcpdump. So, it must be a processing problem.
But which preprocessor can handle so much traffic? It should be the
possible, to mask an attack with a simple nmap scan. Isn't that
quite easy to achieve?

Regards,

Edin_

--