[Snort-users] error output

Erick Mechler emechler at ...7719...
Mon Jan 13 14:58:05 EST 2003

:: Jan 13 20:56:46 localhost snort: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't
:: connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111)

:: so I replaced the 127.0.0.1 with the word 'localhost' and got the following
:: output:
:: Jan 13 22:13:02 localhost snort: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't
:: connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Saul, I don't want to be a party pooper here, and possibly discourage you
from posting to this list in the future, but it really does seem that you
haven't been able to do anything without our help.  I might suggest
re-reading the post to this list from Erik Adams on 2003-01-11 entitled
"How to get an answer to your question."

With that said, the answer to your problem, and the answer to most of the
issues you've posted about, are right there in front of you in the error
message itself.  See where it says "Can't connect to local MySQL server"?
That means that there's something wrong with how your Snort process is
connecting to your MySQL DB.  Now, this could be that your MySQL server
isn't running, the socket isn't where snort thinks it is, the snort user
can't read the socket, or perhaps that the snort user doesn't have
sufficient permissions to connect to the snort database within MySQL.

Honestly, Google works.  Take my word for it :)  Go there, type in "mysql
can't connect to local server" and see if one of the 8,000+ posts help you
out in any way.

Cheers - Erick