[Snort-users] Portscan preprocessors dropping packets on a si mple nmap-scan

Gonzalez, Albert albert.gonzalez at ...7950...
Mon Jan 13 12:01:11 EST 2003

It all depends on *how* your logging. If your monitoring fast pipes (ie: t1
and up)
you should try tcpdump format (-b or output log_tcpdump[1]) or even better
unified.
If you log to binary, then you can run it back through snort with an
automated script
etc... but with a full logging, that isn't very bright with fast pipes.

Cheers!

[1] - http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.5.6

PS:> This is well documented in the FAQ. You shouldn't log to full (im
assuming here) when
     you're seeing alot of traffic.

---
Alberto Gonzalez
EDS - Global Security Operations Center
Security and Privacy Professional Servics