[Snort-users] (no subject)

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Thu Jan 9 10:26:03 EST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Jim Schwin wrote:

> I just started to work with snort 1.9.0. I have it install on Windows 2000.
> I am currently just using the base rule set that it comes with. I have not
> received any alerts same of yet. I thought the snort.conf that comes with
> 1.9.0 would be good enough to pick up on many intrusions. I do receive a lot
> of these types 5 and type 8 messages. Is this somewhat normal?

[...snip...]

Well...  I'm making a semi-educated guess:  You're on a switch or a
'auto-sensing' hub.  If that's the case you're only going to see the
traffic destined for that box (switch) or for that 'speed' of card
(auto-sensing hub).

If it's a Cisco switch, look into configuring a SPAN port.  If it's
another brand, it might be known as 'port mirroring'.

If it's a auto-sensing hub, you're only going to see traffic for that
speed (10 or 100 mb) of card.  You'd have to move to a true 'dumb hub' to
have it work.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams

   "When things get wierd, the wierd turn pro."   H.S. Thompson