[Snort-users] Snort and Win32

L. Christopher Luther CLuther at ...6333...
Wed Jan 8 10:58:09 EST 2003

The problem is not with Snort; it's with WinPCap.  Specifically, all
versions of WinPCap after 2.02 disable themselves with they detect a SMP
platform (see http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/faq.htm#Q-15).

I too had this problem on a dual-PIII, and I reverted to using Snort 1.8.6
and WinPCap 2.02.  Though WinPCap does not officially support SMP platforms,
at least this version of WinPCap does not disable itself.

Christopher

-----Original Message-----
From: "Incidents" <Incidents at ...4371...>
To: <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 00:33:51 -0800
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort and Win32

Hello All,

I've installed snort 1.9 on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server box running
dual-PIII. I've also installed IDS Center. I went through the config
sections and set it up with no errors. When I click on the test button I
receive the following error:

|> IDScenter test console <|
Initializing Output Plugins!
Log directory = E:\Snort\Log

Initializing Network Interface
ERROR: OpenPcap() device  open:
        Error opening adapter: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I installed the WinPcap latest version 3.04? (I think). Looking through
the archives, the best answer I found was that snort cannot run on
multiple processor machines. Is this correct? Any other thoughts?

Regards,
Incidents