[Snort-users] Snort 1.8.6 Win32 Build Errors

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Mon Jan 6 18:53:01 EST 2003

Chris,

I have found that generally the warnings are harmless in 1.86; it's the
errors that kill the build. You have done a great job in eliminating all the
warnings in the later builds. I guess this is progression.

 -Michael

 mailto:michaels at ...155...

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Chris Reid
Sent: January 6, 2003 6:21 PM
To: L. Christopher Luther; 'Snort-Users (E-mail)'
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort 1.8.6 Win32 Build Errors

This was largely resolved using "#pragma" directives.  Download the 1.8.7
tarball and search for "#pragma" in all *.h and *.c files.  From memory, the
most significant reduction in warnings comes from updating snort.h.

Note that even after adding the pragmas, there are still around 20-25 or so
warnings which will be generated elsewhere in the codebase.  The snort
administrators are aware of these warnings, have investigated them (ie.
stuff like long -> short without typecast, or unsigned -> signed without
typecast), and have chosen not to update the codebase to remove the
warnings.

Chris Reid