[Snort-users] To hub or not to hub

Semerjian, Ohanes Semerjian.Ohanes at ...4899...
Mon Jan 6 15:36:02 EST 2003

well I think if u don't wana mirror a port on the switch then u have only
one obtion regardless if using a hub a good idea or not...!

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Scott [mailto:ascott at ...6076...]
Sent: Tuesday, 7 January 2003 8:58 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] To hub or not to hub

Hi. I am going to initially deploy one Snort box on our network. I want to
place it right after our firewall to detect anything getting through.
We have an all switched environment and I do not want to do any spanning (at
least initially). I read two documents on Snort's web site, one said a hub
was fine, one said a hub was a bad idea. I like the idea because it would be
easy to plug and unplug the snort box without disrupting traffic.
I would also like to use the box for a sniffer, ala Ethereal.
Thoughts, feelings, ideas?

Thanks
anthony  scott

Snort-users list archive: