[Snort-users] To hub or not to hub

Anthony Scott ascott at ...6076...
Mon Jan 6 13:59:04 EST 2003

Hi. I am going to initially deploy one Snort box on our network. I want to place it right after our firewall to detect anything getting through.
We have an all switched environment and I do not want to do any spanning (at least initially). I read two documents on Snort's web site, one said a hub was fine, one said a hub was a bad idea. I like the idea because it would be easy to plug and unplug the snort box without disrupting traffic.
I would also like to use the box for a sniffer, ala Ethereal.
Thoughts, feelings, ideas?

Thanks
anthony  scott