[Snort-users] Snort daemon stops

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Mon Jan 6 11:12:04 EST 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 jsauer at ...7911... wrote:

> I have snort 1.8.3 running correctly on a Sun E250 (Solaris 8).
>
> I would like to have snort run on a less busy system.
> It is a Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris 8).  This version is 1.8.7.
> The snort daemon starts fine.  I see IP address directories in ./log/.
> When I check my running processes later on, snort is no longer running
> on this system.  There seems to be no consistent amount of time
> for it to work.  I copied all the *.rules files and the *.conf file from
> the original system and just changed paths as needed.

One thing that was fixed after 1.8.x was a little bug that caused some odd
errors on Solaris.  It had to do with with the configure script and grep.

I would suggest you move to 1.9.x instead of the 1.8.x tree.  If you don't
want to move or can't move to that version, simply remove the '-q' in the
grep line in the ./configure script.

Hope that helps!  Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

   "When things get tough, the wierd get going."   H.S. Thompson