[Snort-users] Snort to Oracle

O'Flynn, Derek DOFlyn at ...6551...
Fri Jan 3 11:48:05 EST 2003

I have at least 15k alerts per day running on MySQL and don't have an issue.
I usually keep about 300k alerts in my database before I purge any out.

Machine is a P4 - 1.8Ghz, 1GB Ram running Redhat 7.3, Snort 1.9

Derek

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Suehring [mailto:snort at ...7160...]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 1:24 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort to Oracle

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:07:53PM -0500, Nicholas Bachmann wrote:
> > I am getting well over 15K detected attempts a day and my database
> > grows too quickly for MySql to handle (my current setup)

MySQL shouldn't have any problems handling 15K of anything per day.

I personally wouldn't have much faith in Oracle handling it better, all
things being equal.  Oracle has higher overhead and 15K of records isn't
that much data to begin with.  Obviously if you're running MySQL on a 486
and Oracle on a P4 there would be a difference.  :)

Are there specific issues that you're seeing with MySQL?

Steve

Snort-users list archive: