[Snort-users] Snortsam / Portscanning Detection

christian graf cg at ...10864...
Wed Dec 31 07:39:06 EST 2003

Hi Tuomas,

active blocking of portscans can get you in big trouble, as it is very
easy spoof the machine-src-adr.
Just 2 examples:

1) using the decoys in e.g. nmap
nmap can hide its own scan with some decoy-hosts, means those hosts must
exist and be reachable. Your PIX will LOG all the decoys (because their
adresses ahve been spoofed by the nmap-guy). If you are now blocking the
scanning-guys you will mistakingly block the decoys too.

2) if the attacker is driving a idle-scan
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/idlescan.html

in short, using this technique the guy who is driving the scan "NEVER"
sends any packet during the scan to your pix. All packets you are seeing
is from the zombie-host. And therefor you will block the zombie.

If somebody wants to harm you, both versions (idle-scan / decoys) are
just fine to let you block anything the attacker wants!

So take care when you are implementing any active-features - it may be
used against yourself.

christian

Just