[Snort-users] SUMMARY, CyberKit 2.2 Ping, its driven me Nuts..

Chris N chris.northrop at ...406...
Wed Dec 31 04:40:00 EST 2003

Fellowship of the Snort,

I guess I should have clarified that all the "CyberKit 2.2 Ping" alerts were
ingress only.

Some of you guys suggested just removing the alert. Yes that would stop the
chaos, but I didn't want to blind myself. Although, I do have to admit I was
leaning this way.

With the advise from a few others I decided to keep the rule, but with a
slight modification to alert me on egress only. I am only really concerned
about systems within my network. Yes, keeping track of this traffic from the
outside would be a good idea, but in my environment its not feasible.
Someday, when I'm questioned about the necessity of an IDS, I will switch
this alert and a few others back to saturate, so as to subdue the
misinformed.

Thank you for your time
Chris N.