[Snort-users] WinSnort and MSSQL Problem

snortmail snortmail at ...10527...
Tue Dec 30 12:04:04 EST 2003

Hey - I'm having the same problem on my win2k box....snort runs fine when not used as a service.  Running Snort 2.1 - I get errors:

FROM Command Prompt: net start snort

The service is not responding to the control function.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186.

FROM Services MMC:

Could not start the Snort service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

But firing up snort from the command prompt using snort.exe directly works like a charm...

I've checked permissions on the snort.exe and all other files involved and everythings ok.  Any help would be appreciated as it's much more convenient to be running this as a service.  Thx,

- Mike Couch