[Snort-users] Barnyard 0.1.0 and the "unable to find mysqlclient library" issue

John Whitson whitsonj at ...468...
Tue Dec 30 07:54:12 EST 2003

Configuration:

Mandrake 9.1 (vanilla install, no kernel hacks, no other packages installed
except flex, bison, and snort)
MySQL 12.22 Distrib 4.0.17 for pc-linux (latest version as of 17Dec03),
installed to /usr/local/mysql
Barnyard 0.1.0 (from snort.org, again as of 17Dec03)

Barnyard.conf:  straight out of barnyard-0.1.0.tar.gz, with the last two
lines uncommented.  File copied to /etc/barnyard.conf

----Scenario 1----

Straight out of the box:

./configure
    (no errors)
make && make install
    (no errors)
barnyard -c /etc/barnyard.conf
    WARNING /etc/barnyard.conf(155) => Unknown output plugin "alert_acid_db"
referenced, ignoring!
    WARNING /etc/barnyard.conf(156) => Unknown output plugin "log_acid_db"
referenced, ignoring!

---Scenario 2---
Following Jeff Nathan's advice (from message 10 Oct 03 -
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2003-10/0239.html):

Edit configure.in (line 285) from:
    AC_CHECK_LIB(mysqlclient, mysql_connect, FOUND=yes, FOUND=no)
changed to:
    AC_CHECK_LIB(mysqlclient, mysql_real_connect, FOUND=yes, FOUND=no)

#aclocal
#autoheader
  configure.in:30: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
#automake
#autoconf
  configure.in:30: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling

# ./configure --enable-mysql --with-mysql-includes=/usr/local/mysql/include
--with-mysql-libraries=/usr/local/mysql/lib
    checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
            [snip]
    checking for /usr/local/mysql/include/mysql.h... yes
    checking for mysql_real_connect in -lmysqlclient... no

      ERROR: unable to find mysqlclient library
      checked in the following places
            /usr/local/mysql/lib
--end scenarios--

What are the steps I should be following here to make this work?  Obviously
I'm missing something, but after nearly 10 hours of searching the archives
and the rest of tthe web for cryptic references, and trying every trick I
can think of with config.in, configure, and the makefiles, I'm stumped.

Please walk me through the steps, and please use small words, since I'm
getting dumber with each passing hour.

Thank you,

John Whitson