[Snort-users] ICMP Time-To-Live Exceeded in Transit

Erwin Van de Velde erwin.vandevelde at ...10361...
Tue Dec 23 03:05:00 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm using snort 2.1.0 and I'm getting quite a lot of these alerts (43% of the
total of alerts). All packets that are logged, are going to a computer behind
my router. I'm using NAT on the router, and my internal network has only one
computer behind it: 192.168.0.2. Router has (DHCP configured IP, 192.168.0.1)
as IP addresses. What can I do to get rid of all these messages, except
disabling this rule? Is there a way to tweak snort, so that it does not
generate these false positives anymore?
Is it an error caused by shorewall, that I use on the router for NAT, or is
there another reason why these alerts are generated?

Thanks in advance,

Erwin Van de Velde
Student of Antwerp University
Belgium