[Snort-users] snort just stop when more 32000 alerts (different IPs) aregenerated

J-H. Johansen corinth at ...4741...
Mon Dec 22 01:28:02 EST 2003

Jerry Shenk wrote:
> I can tell  you that snort itself doesn't automatically stop when it
> hit's 32000 alerts.  I have a network where they got welchia or some
> variant and snort didn't stop.  I wouldn't even thing 32000 directories
> would be a problem (assuming linux or another unix variant).  This
> network would have had that some number of directories.  This particular
> snort sensor is running Snort/MySQL/ACID so perhaps we're logging things
> a bit differently but it's not a snort issue.

Take a look at how many inodes you have available on your system. If you
have a large amount of files/directories on your server they could be an
explanation.

jens:H