[Snort-users] exact phrase match

Dan sophie_bo at ...741...
Thu Dec 18 14:40:01 EST 2003

Greetings,

The original snort rule:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"WEB-MISC nc.exe attempt"; flow:to_server,established; content:"nc.exe"; nocase; classtype:web-application-activity; sid:1062; rev:5;)

Goal: Have Snort only alert on the exact phrase match of "nc.exe"

Currently: Currently, Snort is alerting when nc.exe is part of another word...examples:

"sync.exe"
"cspsync.exe"

Could you please tell me what the pcre:"/\bnc.exe\b/"; parameter does? Does this tell Snort to only alert on an exact phrase match?

Thanks,

Dan

Oops, typo on my part.  No, it should be...

    content:"nc.exe"; pcre:"/\bnc.exe\b/";

Brian