[Snort-users] W32/Yaha-Y Worm

CGhercoias at ...8619... CGhercoias at ...8619...
Thu Dec 18 12:28:05 EST 2003

This worm is quite 'old' --
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.af@...10789......
tml
I believe this is a worm also known as WORM_YAHA.AF, W32/Yaha.y at ...7059...,
W32.Yaha.AF at ...4138... and many other names, which have started to spread in the
wild sometimes in November 2002.

Here is a removal tool --
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.removal
.tool.html

You can easily write your own signature using the 'specs' on the
Symantec web site. Just use the keywords published there, set the rule
to listen just for traffic on port 25 towards your mail server.

Example:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 25
( sid: 1000027; rev: 1; msg: "W32/MSBLAST Worm ANY"; content: "|00 01 6D
73 62 6C 61 73 74 2E 65 78 65|"; offset: 0; depth: 2; reference:
url,www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MSBLAS
T.A; classtype: trojan-activity; priority: 1;)

Open it in a Unix machine(or windows but disconected from network and
with the antivirus shutdown) in hexadecimal mode and copy few
hexadecimal values and paste them in the content space of the rule you
want to create.

Regards,
___________________________
Catalin Ghercoias
WEB/Network Security Administrator

website: http://www.fye.com

The content of this communication is classified as Trans World
Entertainment Confidential and Proprietary Information. As such, it is
addressed and only others who are authorized to receive it. If you are
not one of those, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or action in reliance on the contents of this information
communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to
this communication and then deleting it from your system.