[Snort-users] ACID & MySQL (Sensor)

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Mon Dec 15 08:31:14 EST 2003

I thought we had this all ironed out...

Ok,

1) Make SURE MySQL is running, and make SURE you can access port 3306

Note: To test the port connection; if this is a stand alone machine where
MySQL and Snort are on the same box, and MySQL is bound to localhost
(127.0.0.1) then from a command prompt type: telnet 127.0.0.1 3306 and you
should receive a response back with the version of MySQL you are running.

2) sensor_name will be used in the Acid console to let you know which sensor
the alert originated from. This is very handy if you have several slave
sensors directed to one database.

3) The Stop Sigh; Sometimes IIS fails to initialize correctly. Try
restarting IIS from the services. Make SURE you have all the latest patches
installed.

Kindest regards,

The WINSNORT.com Management Team
mailto:support at ...9077...
Website: http://www.winsnort.com

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of David Newsom
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 6:04 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] ACID & MySQL (Sensor)

Anyone,

Trying to do the windows iis with MYSQL and Snort running, when I try to run
snort now by the command given in the instructions (snort –de –c
c:\snort\etc\snort.conf –l c:\snort\log –i1)  It starts up but then I get
this error

ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to MySQL server on '3306'
(10060) Fatal Error, Quitting..

Also, couple of questions:  What should ‘sensor_name’ be or what does it
represent?

Oh, on the IIS, for the Virtual Directory for Console, I have a icon “STOP
SIGN” represented.

Any help is must appreciated, or the right direction towards corrections.
Thanks

Here is a couple of lines before the error comes up.
database: compiled support for ( mysql odbc )
database: configured to use mysql
database:          user = snort
database: password is set
database: database name = snort
database:          host = 127.0.0.1
database:          port = 3306
database:   sensor name = JeffersonLofts
database:     sensor id = 1
database: schema version = 106
database: using the "log" facility
database: compiled support for ( mysql odbc )
database: configured to use mysql
database:          user = snort
database: password is set
database: database name = snort
database:          host = 3306
database:   sensor name = JeffersonLofts
ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to MySQL server on '3306'
(10060) Fatal Error, Quitting..

David Newsom