[Snort-users] Snort 1.8.7 does not log anything (OS: SuSE 8.1)

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...8683...
Thu Dec 11 15:25:10 EST 2003

> > Michael Steele wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a specific reason why your using such an outdated Snort?
> >
> > No. I'm a beginner with snort and I want to become somewhat familiar
> > with snort before trying to compile and install it by my self. The
> > version I use is the one coming with the OS as rpm package. In addition,
> > this is my first root server and before upgrading an OS on a server, to
> > which I have no physical access...I will wait some time ;-).

How about getting the latest snort.org RPMs?  I forget wahat version of RPM
SuSE 8.1 uses, but I think it's pretty current.

So you should be able to do (assuming you have wget):

wget http://www.snort.org/dl/binaries/linux/snort-2.0.4-1.i386.rpm
	and optionally
wget http://www.snort.org/dl/binaries/linux/snort-mysql-2.0.4-1.i386.rpm
	and/or
wget http://www.snort.org/dl/binaries/linux/snort-postgresql-2.0.4-1.i386.rpm

	then
rpm -Uvh snort*.rpm

--OR--

rpm -Uvh http://www.snort.org/dl/binaries/linux/snort-2.0.4-1.i386.rpm
	etc., etc.

I know we are 1 version behind (Snort source is 2.0.5, the RPMs are 2.0.4).
We chose not to build 2.0.5 RPMs because 2.1.0 is coming Real Soon Now...
Let me know if that's a real problem for anyone. But if you really want 2.0.5
RPMs:
wget http://www.snort.org/dl/snort-2.0.5.tar.gz
rpmbuild -ta snort-2.0.5.tar.gz

Read these for more details:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/snort/snort/contrib/rpm/README.build_rpms
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/snort/snort/contrib/rpm/README.rpms

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?