[Snort-users] Snort Sensor Hardware

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Wed Dec 10 14:42:02 EST 2003

At 05:15 PM 12/10/2003, Brian wrote:
>Signatures are being held back so Sourcefires customers will
> > have them first, weeks ahead of the rest of us! I don't think that's
> > true, is it?
>
>No, thats bullshit.  Rules are committed to CVS usually within minutes of
>being released to Sourcefire customers.

It is good to hear it works that way. However, I really wouldn't have been
concerned if the Sourcefire commercial customer ruleset was slightly more
comprehensive and/or more up-to-date than the public one anyway. It's not
like I'd feel "ripped off"...

"Hey, I only paid you guys $0 for this product, why aren't you giving me
the same level of support as the guys that pay?" doesn't sound like a valid
complaint :)

Of course, it would look bad if Sourcefire more-or-less abandoned the Open
Source line, but I don't see any signs that is going to happen.

Heck, I've always been amazed at how fast you guys turn around bugfixes to
the open-source community. That crash-bug in 2.0.3 was fixed by Brian and
turned into a 2.0.4 release faster than I could blink. (bug reported
11/5/2003, 6:30pm, patch produced 11/6/2003 9:28am, 2.0.4 release 11/6/2003
2:30pm. All times eastern US)

That's definitely a strong showing of support for the open-source side.
Other companies might have made a release to the commercial customers, and
then pushed it out to the open-source guys whenever they next bothered to
roll up a release.

>  If you subscribe to snort-cvsinfo, then you can watch the commits to the
>snort tree without too much of a delay.

Heh, provided that the mailing list isn't slower than the 24hr lag in
anoncvs :)

(ok, even at their worst, the sourcefire lists have never been THAT bad).