[Snort-users] Snort 1.8.7 does not log anything (OS: SuSE 8.1)

Ralf Mellis ralf at ...10718...
Wed Dec 10 06:38:02 EST 2003

Hello,

I'm very confused. I have set up Snort 1.8.7 on a test box successfully
(SuSE Linux 8.1). If I run a nmap tcp scan from another box against the
snort box, snorts logs several events to the file
"/var/log/snort/alert", as exspected. Having things so tested out, I
have set up snort in exactly the same manner on my production box (SuSE
8.1, too). But here, snort does not log anything. If I do a nmap tcp
scan against this box, there are absolutely no entries in the alert
file. I have compared the configuration files and the start scripts:
They are identical (no wonder, the same system...).
The nmap scan is detected by the firewall (iptables) and scanlogd
(exactly as on my test box). No matter that snort "sees" the packets
even when the firewall is active, I have tested the nmap scan with my
firewall deactivated, but no change in behaviour, nothing is logged.
The only difference (but I'm not sure whether this is relevant) is:
The test box located in my home network has an ip (eth0) of
192.168.0.42/24. The production box is a root server directly connected
to the internet, so the ip is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32.
Is it possible, that this fact produces the misbehaviour?

My relevant "snort.conf" entries (at this time not modified by my self,
but system defaults):

var HOME_NET $eth0_ADDRESS
var EXTERNAL_NET $HOME_NET
var SMTP $HOME_NET
var HTTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET
var SQL_SERVERS $HOME_NET
var DNS_SERVERS $HOME_NET
var RULE_PATH ./
var SHELLCODE_PORTS !80
var HTTP_PORTS 80
var ORACLE_PORTS 1521
preprocessor frag2
preprocessor stream4: detect_scans, disable_evasion_alerts
preprocessor stream4_reassemble
preprocessor http_decode: 80 -unicode -cginull
preprocessor rpc_decode: 111 32771
preprocessor bo
preprocessor telnet_decode
include classification.config
include $RULE_PATH/bad-traffic.rules
include ...

Regarding to the snort faq 3.7, the variable $eth0_ADDRESS will be set
to the ip/netmask of the interface which snort will be listening...
Snort is invoked on my system as:

/usr/bin/snort -d -D -i eth0 -l /var/log/snort -u snort -g snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf

And eth0 is the active interface of my server.
(In addition I have tested the "-p" switch, but without success, too.
Snort is starting up without errors, as shown by the system log, but
does not log anything.)

Where is my mistake?

Regards from (cold) germany
Ralf Mellis