[Snort-users] mysql.sock not found

Dirk Geschke Dirk at ...10648...
Thu Dec 4 14:39:02 EST 2003

Hi Shashank,

> I installed snort on RH9 and got it working fine. Then I added the
> my.cnf file to  /etc with the socket=/var/lib/mysql.sock. I also
> modified php.ini to point default_socket to /ver/lib/mysql/mysql.sock. I
> restarted mysql and apache.
>  However, when I try to restart snort, it seems as if it does start, but
> in reality it fails to start. SO I executed the following command to
> debug,
> /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf  and I get an error that
> says could not connect to /tmp/mysql.sock. Where else do I need to
> change /tmp/mysql.sock in order to eliminate this error? The error is in
> the adodb-mysql.inc.php
> Any help is appreciated.

in the file /etc/my.cnf are normall two sections, one for
the server process and one for the client. So there should
be something like:

[client]
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[server]
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

Normally you don't have to mention where the socket is
located, the library will ask /etc/my.cnf therefore.
(And as far as I remember you don't have the possibility
to mention the socket in snort.conf...)

Best regards

Dirk Geschke