[Snort-users] Corrupt Snort Logging - Win32 Terminal Server2000

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Thu Dec 4 08:50:05 EST 2003

For some reason Server locks Snort.exe from deletion. After uninstall you
will need to reboot to get windows to unlock the file and then you can
delete. To get around rebooting, just rename the Snort folder and let the
new installation create a new one. Move whatever files you need into the
newly created Snort folder from the old snort folder.

You really don't need uninstall, just stop snort, rename the folder to
something else then install the new version of snort. This way you won't
have to recreate the service. Just move your old snort.conf and whatever
else from the old installation to the new snort install and restart Snort.

Make SURE that you remove WinPcap completely before installing a new
version.

Note: If you are running Terminal Services under Windows 2000 Server or
Advanced Server, you MUST install MySQL from the Add/Remove panel. You can
also type from a command window "change user /install" and after you install
MySQL type from a command window "change user /execute". You should do this
with every install that has an installer.

Cheers...

-The WINSNORT.com Management Team
 mailto:support at ...9077...
 Website: http://www.winsnort.com