[Snort-users] Snort on OpenBSD -- finding mysqlclient library

robert schwartz robert at ...5775...
Thu Dec 4 08:44:01 EST 2003

> Then snort will run and log to mysql just fine.
> My question is: "Is this normal behavior to expect, or am I
> missing something?"

Use the ports or packages to install mysql client and you will have no
trouble configuring snort --with-mysql.  The package I use that works
very well is "mysql-client-3.23.57.tgz", just go:

pkg_add
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.4/packages/i386/mysql-client-3.23.57
.tgz

On your OpenBSD system.  This will also install all dependency packages
silently.  I didn't see any compelling reason to use mysql4 yet, as
mysql3.23 is more supportable and the network performance is FAST (for a
tcp app).

> Here is my setup:
>
> OpenBSD 3.4 i386
> MySQL 4.0.16 (./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> --localstatedir=/var/mysql) Snort 2.0.5 (./configure
> --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql)

Then when configuring snort, just go ./configure --with-mysql

If your database is on a remote system, all will be well (if not then
add the mysql server package from the same locatio).