[Snort-users] Slightly OT: high speed packet generation

Nordwall, Douglas J Nordwall at ...10143...
Wed Dec 3 08:42:19 EST 2003

I'm curious to know what other people on the list use for internal
testing for high speed packet generation. I'm not interested in single
packet generation, but rather testing performance of an IDS. I've seen a
few like http_load (specifically http traffic), pacgen, packETH, and
packet excalibur, but no experience with which ones are suitable for
high speed generation. My definition of high speed is in excess of
100Mb/s, and preferably (depending on hardware, of course) get upwards
of a gigabit/s.

What might even be more interesting is some sort of session emulation,
where you provide a list of ips, and the tool runs through a battery of
connections (web, ssh, etc) as if a real user was on the other end.