[Snort-users] Slightly OT: high speed packet generation softw are

larosa, vjay larosa_vjay at ...3331...
Mon Dec 1 20:21:05 EST 2003

Try tcpreplay. You can replay full pcap files back on to a network. It is
pretty fast but it depends on the speed of your hardware. I have used it in
the past for IDS benchmarking and was very impressed.

vjl

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of doug at ...10143...
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 2:45 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Slightly OT: high speed packet generation software

I'm curious to know what everyone else uses for high speed packet
generation. I'm not so much interested in single packets, but rather,
something that can generate a lot of traffic. Noise is irrelevant, as I'm
an looking to do IDS testing. I've looked a little at a few on freshmeat
(packETH, pacgen, http_load) but have no experience with any of them. By
high speed, I mean something that'll push 100Mb/s, and (hardware allowing)
1Gb/s

Ideally, it would be nice to have something that emulated sessions between
a couple of ip addresses, but I'll take a variety of packet generation.

--
Douglas J Nordwall	http://rex.nmhu.edu/~musashi
System Administrator	Pacific Northwest National Labs