[Snort-users] Passive Tap Help

Peters, Michael D. Michael.Peters at ...9763...
Mon Dec 1 05:52:06 EST 2003

I have been examining the diagram for the passive tap. I don't really
understand and I was hoping someone would clarify the drawing for me?

It appears to me that we have a <HOST> and the connecting Ethernet cable
going to some distant switch or hub. In the middle of that Ethernet cable is
the copper tap.

The picture in my mind is now <HOST><CABLE><TAP><CABLE><HUB>.

Inside the tap is where I think my understanding has broken down. The
picture seems to indicate that there is a crossover occurring on the actual
<CABLE> which I know would not work.

Maybe a pin out of the tap would help?

HOST SIDE A		HOST SIDE B		TAP
	1	<->		1		 #?