[Snort-users] Netgear GA621 and Gigabit Tap

Zac (Liquidweb) zac at ...9819...
Thu Aug 7 15:57:02 EDT 2003

Hello All,

We recently decided to set up a Snort box using a fiber tap. We have a
Netoptics Gigabit Fiber Tap and two Netgear GA621 Fiber cards. We are
using the ns83820 drivers in Linux for the card, and they both work fine
in normal operation. The problem is that unless both the Transmit and
Receive cables are plugged into the card, the link light on the card
won't come on on the card, and the card will not see any data. We want
to have only both Receive cables plugged into the cards from the Tap so
we can bond them together in the kernel and use Snort to monitor the
connection. We tried plugging both Tranmits into each other on the cards
to try and "fool" the cards, but it didn't work. Does anyone have any
experience with these cards or suggestions to try to get it working? Any
help you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Zac at ...9819...
Liquidweb, Inc.