[Snort-users] Snort 2.0 not logging any alerts

stormshadow storm-shadow at ...5068...
Wed Apr 30 14:58:35 EDT 2003

running:
snort -dev -l log -h 192.168.1.0/24 -c snort.conf
from root directory. I created a /log within this directory for snort.
Snort isn't logging anything to the "alert" file in the /log

I also tried not specifying the /log (thinking that snort would just
write to default /var/log/snort.)
Again, the files "alert" and "alerts" are there. But no data is in
them.

 I run snort again, I open up another shell and do:
tail -f /var/log/snort/alert. I then nmap the snort machine but no logs
show up!

Also, another thing. i noticed in order to get snort to work correctly
in IDS mode, I have to specify the full path to snort.conf?

TIA
Storm