[Snort-users] snort 2.0.0 under visual C++

Chris Reid Chris.Reid at ...2817...
Wed Apr 30 09:12:10 EDT 2003

I agree with Erek:  make sure you can run snort successfully from the
command-line first.

The cause of your problem appears to be that you instructed Visual Studio to
either "Execute" or "Debug-->Go".  However, snort relies on command-line
parameters, which seem to be missing.  I don't believe Visual Studio allows
you to specify parameters to "Execute", but you -can- supply parameters to
"Debug-->Go".  Look at "Project-->Settings", and switch to the "Debug" page.
Add the appropriate parameters to the "Program Arguments" field.

What are the proper parameters?  That depends on what you discover when
testing snort via the command line.  Look at the various sources of
documentation for Win32 snort to assist you:

    http://www.snort.org/docs/
    http://www.snort.org/docs/SnortUsersManual.pdf

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/snort/snort/doc/README.WIN32?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
    http://www.silicondefense.com/support/windows/documentation.php