[Snort-users] snort 2.0.0 under visual C++

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Wed Apr 30 08:03:07 EDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Ronan Horgan wrote:

> I am trying to get snort 2.0.0 running under windows 2000, its part of a project
> i am doing (which is due next week). I already have snort 1.9.1 running under
> windows 2000 but i have simply run it through dos using the config files and
> acid / mysql etc. But now i need to compile / run snort using visual C++ (because
> i need to add plugins), is running it through a program like visual C++ the
> only way to add a plugin??
> I am attaching a word dcument which shows what is happening when i open the
> snort 2.0.0 workspace. Im getting the message "you need to tell me to do something"
> ,press any key to continue.
> I hope to get this working soon but really need to find out what i need to do
> to compile / run it under V c++.

Don't run it from inside VC++.  Compile it, build an executeable, then run
the executable from the command line.

You might want to take a look at the Win32 version [0] that's on
Snort.org.  I'd suggest that you download that, install it, and work with
it for a bit.  Then uninstall it, and build your own (if thats a
requirement).

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams