[Snort-users] porno rules

Bryan Irvine bryan.irvine at ...9066...
Tue Apr 29 15:12:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 13:42, Matt Kettler wrote:
> Are you doing a web or usenet (groups) search on google?
Yes I'm trying on google and even clicking on links that appear to
best match the ruleset to try and trigger it.

> Snort will fire off based on the response, not the submission, so if the
> page that comes back has a.p.b.e in the text, it is perfectly reasonable
> for snort to fire off that rule. This is very likely to happen if you were
> to use google's groups search, but very unlikely to happen if you did a web
> search.
>
> That said, view the source of the exact page you got back.. does it contain
> the string alt.binaries.pictures.erotica ? If so, snort correctly fired off.
Nope none of the sites contain that.  Strange huh?

> As far as missing the "nude cheerleader" in the response, have you done a
> kill -USR1 on your snort process and looked at the packet statistics
> (they'll be dumped to syslog so usually wind up in /var/log/messages) If
> you're dropping packets, that could be why it's seeing one part, and not
> another.
No dropped packets.

> If those options don't help, could you post some more detail. Right now
> you're just giving very vague generalities about what you are doing, and
> what alerts are generated. Be specific. Include alerts and the packet dumps
> that snort generates (IP's censored if you prefer).
It's an OpenBSD server running a PF firewall and NAT.
I have 4 instances of snort running so it's really easy to keep track of
what's going on in each network (there's 4 nic's: 2NAT's, 1 DMZ).
I'm testing it on 1 NAT to see if I can get it running.
Here's what ps -ax  | grep snort looks like

 8024 ??  Is      0:00.75 snort -l /var/www/htdocs/snort/xl0 -A FULL -c
/usr/local/share/snort/snort.conf -D
13911 ??  Is      0:00.71 snort -i xl1 -l /var/www/htdocs/snort/xl1 -A
FULL -c /usr/local/share/snort/internal-snort.conf -D
 3722 ??  Is      0:00.76 snort -i xl2 -l /var/www/htdocs/snort/xl2 -A
FULL -c /usr/local/share/snort/internal-snort.conf -D
 9145 ??  Is      0:00.80 snort -i xl3 -l /var/www/htdocs/snort/xl3 -A
FULL -c /usr/local/share/snort/snort.conf -D

> Also of note, the fact that you even HAD an entry for ASN1 in your
> snort.conf seems very problematic and indicates the "upgrade" wasn't done
> properly. that line shouldn't have been there in the first place.
>
> When you upgraded to 2.0, you should have made a completely new snort.conf
> based on the one that shipped with 2.0.
>
> Do NOT try to re-use a snort.conf from 1.9.x.  if for no other reason that
> the list of *.rules files has changed.
>
> It's also inadvisable to use portscan2 and conversation preprocessors..
> those are disabled by default in snort 2.0's conf.

I changed it to the 2.0 snort.conf file, didn't change a thing :-/

--Bryan