[Snort-users] Looking for opinions...

Wilcoxen, Scott SWilcoxen at ...9020...
Mon Apr 28 08:54:07 EDT 2003

Hi all!  I was looking for some opinions on something here.  I've
recently set up Snort here in my office.  Everything is running great,
but I'm not sure how to proceed on something.  Alerts which are being
generated for known vulnerabilities in IIS, SMB, etc. which I know for a
fact I'm patched for are overrunning my alert logs.  I'm logging all
traffic to tcpdump binaries, so if I ever really needed to dig through
this info I could.  So, in order to keep the number of alerts to a
manageable level I was considering disabling the rules for which I am
already patched.  Any thoughts on this?

Scott S Wilcoxen

Macfadden & Associates, Inc.

Email: Swilcoxen at macf dot com