[Snort-users] Need Help Installing snort on OpenBSD

MH procana at ...4296...
Mon Apr 28 03:24:05 EDT 2003

Hi Joe,

By default, snort will be placed in /usr/local/bin.
If you are logged in as root (not advised) , /usr/local/bin is not in your
path by default.  You can add it to your .profile.
However, it is better to su or sudo then start snort.
You can run the command "whereis snort" or just "ls /usr/local/bin" and
verify that it is there.

Unsolicited advice:  While you will need to have root priv to start snort,
it is a good idea to set up a snort_usr with nologin and set snort to run
as snort_usr.

Good Luck,
Mike