[Snort-users] snort.conf problems

L. Christopher Luther CLuther at ...6333...
Sun Apr 27 07:10:12 EDT 2003

First, the '-v' parameter causes Snort to run in sniffer mode -- you may
want to drop this option.

Second, check the 'include' statements in snort.conf (bottom of the file).
These statements are used to include the various .rules files.  It's
possible that your rules files are not where Snort is expecting to see them.

Good luck!

- Christopher

-----Original Message-----
From: stormshadow [mailto:storm-shadow at ...5068...]
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2003 6:05 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] snort.conf problems

Trying to get the IDS going here. I do a :
snort -dev -l log -h 172.16.0.0/24 -c snort.conf
running in IDS mode
log directory = log

then it gives me an error:

ERROR: unable to open rules file: snort.conf or ./snort.conf
fatal error, quitting

I take it snort.conf comes out of the box with no rules?? What do I
need to do?
thanks
Stormshadow