OT: list archives and e-mail addresses (Re: [Snort-users] OT - Spam)

Andrew R. Baker andrewb at ...950...
Fri Apr 25 06:33:21 EDT 2003

bmcdowell at ...7861... wrote:
> I've noticed that by doing a google search for my own e-mail address, it only appears on web-archives of these two mailing lists.  Could you respective Admins please take steps to obfuscate the actual e-mail addresses before posting them to the web?  As I understand it, 'bare' e-mail addresses on web pages are big targets for spammers.  I enjoy participating in these lists, however I have notices that my inbound spam has tripled since I joined them.
>
> If it can't be fixed, I can respect that.  But it can, you'd probably be doing your user-base a huge favor.

Unfortunately, the only archives we have control over are those located
at sourceforge.net (and it looks like those are currently unavailable).
  The list archives located elsewhere are outside of our control.  I
would suggest contacting the archive adminstrator concerning e-mail
address obfuscation.

 From a quick look at a few of them, they do appear to obfuscate  the
mail address in the header; however, they do not obfuscate addresses
that are found within the content of the message (as are sometimes
included in responses).

-Andrew R. Baker
Your (occasionally) friendly list admin