[Snort-users] OT - Spam

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Apr 24 16:31:02 EDT 2003

At 05:46 PM 4/24/2003 -0500, bmcdowell at ...7861... wrote:
>I've noticed that by doing a google search for my own e-mail address, it
>only appears on web-archives of these two mailing lists.  Could you
>respective Admins please take steps to obfuscate the actual e-mail
>addresses before posting them to the web?  As I understand it, 'bare'
>e-mail addresses on web pages are big targets for spammers.  I enjoy
>participating in these lists, however I have notices that my inbound spam
>has tripled since I joined them.
>
>If it can't be fixed, I can respect that.  But it can, you'd probably be
>doing your user-base a huge favor.

As a subtle counter point, that might reduce the problem, but will hardly
cure it. After all, it only takes _one_ spam-database-builder subscribed to
_one_ mailing list you use to pick up your address.. from there it will
likely be copied into dozens of them.

I suspect at least one spam database miner has gotten the idea of
subscribing to all the sourceforge.net mailing lists they can find to mine
them for addresses.

So you've increased the lag time before some spam database gets your
address, but you've not really stopped it from happening. If you really
don't want your address picked up by spammers, never use it to post to any
publicly accessible mailing list, newsgroup, or web forum. As a general
rule if there's ANY way to collect addresses out of some system, there's
going to be at least one spammer desperate enough to do it.

That said, it would be a good thing for any mailing-list to usenet mirrors
to obfuscate addresses. Any small bit never hurts, but it's hardly a huge
favor.