[Snort-users] Too little traffic being seen!

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Wed Apr 23 17:40:04 EDT 2003

Adrian:

On or about Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 02:02:28PM -0700, Adrian.Mink at ...8989... posited:
> Hello,
>
> I am running snort 2.0 on a Redhat 8.0 system using a stealth interface.
> (No IP address on eth0)
> It is plugged into a switch setup as a span port, over which is flowing
> a large amount of traffic. There
> is another IDS plugged into the same switch, which is alerting on the
> traffic. However, snort is only
> generating maybe 1-2 alerts per hour, which is WAY to low. I even took
> it home (it's on a laptop) and plugged
> it in outside of my firewall on a cable connection and saw the same
> thing. So, I am hoping my config is messed up
> somehow, will someone take a look at it and let me know if there are any
> glaring issues? I am getting a very few alerts,
> and when I fire up ethereal I can see the raw traffic so I know the data
> is getting to the system. Help?

Why do you have $HOME_NET and $EXTERNAL_NET set to the same value,
"ANY"?

> var HOME_NET any
> var EXTERNAL_NET any

By any bizarre chance are the "very few alerts" those where $HOME_NET
== $EXTERNAL_NET in the triggered rule?

Also, it looks like you've got *all* the rules turned on.

Why? Particularily why, when it's not working yet?

- John
--
"You are in a twisty maze of weblogs, all alike."

    PGP key: http://www.finchhaven.com/pages/gpg_pubkey.html
Fingerprint: C493 9F26 05A9 6497 9800 4EF6 5FC8 F23D 35A4 F705