[Snort-users] Snort 2.0 as a Windows Service??

kerberos K kerberos_k at ...125...
Tue Apr 22 11:19:22 EDT 2003

I'm using the Snort 2.0 binary from both Snort.org and Silicon Defense, I've
attempted to install Snort as a Win2K service.  I've used both Snort
binaries on the same machine via a command line, and everything appears to
have worked...

When I install Snort as a service, the following output is generated:

C:\BIN\Snort>snort.exe /SERVICE /INSTALL -c "C:\BIN\Snort\snort.conf"
- -l "C:\BIN\Snort\log" -h 10.0.1.0/24[Ip address sanitized] -i 1 -y

[SNORT_SERVICE] Attempting to install the Snort service.

[SNORT_SERVICE] The full path to the Snort binary appears to be:
    C:\BIN\Snort\snort.exe /SERVICE

[SNORT_SERVICE] Successfully added registry keys to:
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Snort\

[SNORT_SERVICE] Successfully added the Snort service to the Services
database.

And when I "show" the service parameters, they appear as:

C:\Snort\snort\bin>snort /service /show

Snort is currently configured to run as a Windows service using the
following
command-line parameters:

     -c c:\snort\snort\etc\snort.conf -l c:\snort\snort\log -h 10.0.1.0/24
[Ip address sanitized]-i 1 -y

However when I attempt to start the service via either command line, or
through the services applet I get the following error:

"C:\Snort\snort\bin>net start snort
The Snort service is starting.
The Snort service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 1067 has occurred.

The process terminated unexpectedly."

I previously had Snort 1.9.1 running as a service and successfully logging
to a mysql database and ACID. This current issue happened when I attempted
to upgrade from 1.9.1 to 2.0.

I know this issue has come up several times in the past, I just have not
seen a solution? Did I miss something? I'm searching through the archive
messages now. I was just hoping maybe some could point me in the right
direction...

Thanks

Brad