[Snort-users] snort breakdown

Hanumantha R. Manchala hmanchal at ...8945...
Mon Apr 21 14:12:05 EDT 2003

Dear snort users,

I have problems doing stress test on snort. I would like to find at what
speeds snort starts dropping packets. I am using tcpreplay to send packets
from a tcpdump file at 50Mbps. I am sending packets from two machines at
50Mbps. Snort is running on a third machine. All these machines are
connected using a serial cable. None of them is on the Internet.

First of all, I would like to know if the packets are being sent out at
speeds tcpreplay claims are being sent at. How can find that? I tried
using 'ifconfig -a'. But I could not figure it out. Is there a script or
some tool that can help me do that?

Secondly, How can I find out the rate of capture of packets on the machine
running snort?

Thirdly, What is the way to find out the speeds at which snort starts
dropping packets?

I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks for your time.

Thanks,
-Manchala.

PS:

1) All my machines are Pentium 4 (1.8GHz) running Redhat 9.0 .
2) I am using snort-1.9.1