[Snort-users] Upgrade, 1.8.6->2.0.0rc5 - new version won't alert to syslog?

Rich Adamson radamson at ...2127...
Fri Apr 18 04:15:10 EDT 2003

> >} Q: Snort is not logging to syslog
> >}
> >} A1: You are using a command line option that overrides what you have in your
> >}     configuration file.  This is most often -A.
> >}
>
> <snip>
>
> >} /usr/site/snort/bin/snort -o -b -D -m 022 -A fast -i qfe1 -s -l
> >/snort/qfe1 -c /usr/site/snort/rules/snort.conf > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> Well, there's you're answer right in the FAQ... you're using -A fast on the
> command line, which over-rides syslog.
>
> Remove the -A fast part and try again.

I could be wrong, but I think this changed somewhere along the line.
At least on Win32 v2, "-A Full -s" works just fine.

Best guess for the original question is the functionality of syslog
has changed a lot in v2 since it was rewritten as an output plugin.
It seems that syslog now uses the IP communication channel instead
of writting to a system syslog api, try...
 output alert_syslog: host=127.0.0.1, LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
along with the "-A Full -s" command line.