[Snort-users] Problem with Snort 2.0.0 and MySQL Client with Redhat 9

Mike Chandler mchandl12000 at ...131...
Thu Apr 17 12:52:08 EDT 2003

Sorry Elvira, I missed your query on how I installed
Snort 2.0.0.  I installed Redhat 9.0, then installed
mysql 3.23.53a, from rpm's the same way I did it for
RH 8.0.  Then I downloaded the tar file for Snort
2.0.0 and put it in a new directory named
Snort-Install.  Then I used tar zxvf
Snort-2.0.0.tar.gz and then cd'd to the Snort-2.0.0
directory.  I used ./configure --prefix=/usr
--with-mysql=/usr.  Then did a make and a make
install.  I am pretty sure that I had to copy the
snort.conf and rules files from the
/Snort-Install/Snort-2.0.0/etc directory intall my
/etc/snort directory and I had to copy the new snort
binary to /usr/sbin directory.  Then I started Snort
with "snort -v -c /etc/snort/snort.conf" and got the
error message.  If I reconfigured snort with
"./configure --prefix=/usr" and left out the
"--with-mysql=/usr" snort ran fine.  I'm not positive
but I'm pretty sure I had previously installed snort
1.9.1 on RH 9.0 and everything worked.  One caveat on
this is that ther are a few steps I left out like
creating the snort database in mysql and building the
tables but I expect you are familiar with that.  One
of the best writeups I have seen for snort on Redhat
is the Snort install Manual for Snort, Mysql, and Acid
on Redhat 7.3 on the Snort website.