[Snort-users] Two items that are hard to digest...

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Apr 17 09:35:13 EDT 2003

At 09:16 AM 4/17/2003 -0700, Michael Steele wrote:
>Matt,
>
>Go to http://www.snort.org and read the "Snort Advisory: Integer Overflow in
>Stream4". This needs to be patched in 1.9.1. I saw a post somewhere that
>there is an unofficial patch floating around, but we need one that is
>official and available on Snort.org.

Ahh, missed that.. I'd suspect the snort-devels are focusing on making sure
2.0 is stable, and then will backport this a bit later. It's only been a
bit under 24 hours, so I'm not too surprised that a patch for 1.9.1 wasn't
out the second the vulnerability was detected.... I also suspect that this
bug was detected during 2.0 development, and caused for a
hastier-than-normal 2.0 release.

Personally I'd rather they at least release _some_ fixed version as soon as
possible rather than delaying releasing any fix at all until both branches
are fixed.

I would however agree that a patch for 1.9.x should be released.