[Snort-users] Still Help Needed: i want to make a firewall

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Tue Apr 15 12:41:09 EDT 2003

Maybe so, but you had better know what you're doing with pf or ipfw, or
you'll be worse off.  The *last* thing I would recommend for a Windows-only
admin person it to use the BSDs.  Let them cut their teeth on RedHat and
iptables, and then once they have some grasp of Unix firewalls, you can
move them gradually to the BSDs.

--On Tuesday, April 15, 2003 02:23:31 PM -0400 Mike Mentges
<mike at ...8840...> wrote:

> The best way to make a firewall with a win2k machine is to fdisk, format,
> and install a *BSD or *nix on it ;-P Preferably OpenBSD. Windows is far
> too insecure to be dependent upon for fire wall.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member