[Snort-users] Still Help Needed: i want to make a firewall

Mike Mentges mike at ...8840...
Tue Apr 15 11:22:12 EDT 2003

The best way to make a firewall with a win2k machine is to fdisk, format,
and install a *BSD or *nix on it ;-P Preferably OpenBSD. Windows is far
too insecure to be dependent upon for fire wall.
Just an educated professional opinion, we follow the rule to not allow any
Windows machines to be directly connected to an unprotected network. This
is the best way to configure your network, if you leave windows connected
to the network you are leaving yourself open for attacks. It is also much
easier to compile, install, configure and troubleshoot Snort on the above
mentioned machines. :-)

Hope this helps!

Mike Mentges