[Snort-users] Help Needed: i want to make a firewall

Philip Davidson Philip at ...8580...
Tue Apr 15 06:46:23 EDT 2003

Get you a copy of Smoothwall.  www.smoothwall.org
There are manuals on this site.  It's pretty straight forward and fairly
secure.
It has a nice remote web administration page where you can set up rules and
stuff.
Hope that helps

Philip Davidson
DPC, Inc
1015 Maurice Fields Dr
Paris, TN 38242
731.642.8627

-----Original Message-----
From: Junaid [mailto:jonny8086 at ...131...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 7:39 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Help Needed: i want to make a firewall

i want to make a firewall for a network. say i have
two interfaces (NICs) on a PC

one connected to my private network and other to the
internet. can i use

libpcap/wpcap to capture all the packets and then
filter all the packets according

to some user defined rules and then drop the packets
violating any rule while

leting others go. currently i know that libpcap/wpcap
can only be used to sniff

packets but cannot block packets going into the IP
stack of an OS. i want that i be

able to block all the packets and let go (into the
protocol stack) only the packets

which donot violate any rules hence making a packet
filtering firewall.

can anyone tell me how to achieve this with pcap or
with anything else.

need an urgent reply please.