[Snort-users] Dual Alerts ?

David Markle davidmarkle at ...5068...
Mon Apr 14 16:04:03 EDT 2003

RE: [Snort-users] Dual Alerts ?I was under the impression that the command line argument for syslog overrides the snort.conf file settings, therefore strayed from that approach.  Although working you your suggestion, I (had) the following:

output alert_syslog: LOG_local1 LOG_ALERT
output database: alert, mysql, user=root password=mypwd dbname=snort host=localhost

In my local syslog.conf, I have remote logging to another host from the local1 facility.  I bit convoluted, but functional.

-----Original Message-----
From: L. Christopher Luther [mailto:CLuther at ...6333...]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 1:37 PM
To: 'davidmarkle at ...5068...'
Cc: Snort-Users (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Dual Alerts ?

Hi, David.

I run two Snort sensors in a Win32 environment.  Both sensors "log" to MySQL and also alert to two separate end-points:  syslog and a text file.  My output statements in snort.conf look like:

  output alert_fast: alert.ids
  output database: log, mysql, host=somehost port=3306 dbname=snortdb user=snort
                   password=somepassword sensor_name=sensor1 encoding=hex detail=Full
  output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTHPRIV LOG_ALERT

My syslog server is a remote server, and I specify the address of that server using the '-s ipaddr:514' command line parameter for Snort.

I get no duplicate alerts.  So what are the exact output statements you're using in snort.conf, and what is the command line you're using to start Snort?

- Christopher